Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering the Legend



I remember sitting in my parents' bedroom watching Motown 25 when Michael first moonwalked across the stage. I had seen it before from kids in school, but for my parents, it was like they had just seen someone fly. Even for me, it was a revelation because although I had seen it before no one had ever done it so flawlessly, so effortlessly.

I remember the premiere of the "Remember the Time" video. All the black stars were there: Eddie Murphy, Iman, Magic Johnson. It wasnt particularly groundbreaking in its special effects or anything, just a very well-done video, great storyline, beautiful cast. It was Michael's way of saying that regardless of how light his skin got, he knew where he came from.

I remember the song "You are not Alone." Mainly because I like cheesy lovesongs.

I was never a huge Michael Jackson fan but you would have had to live under a rock to not be aware of and influenced by his music. I never cared about his appearance, which yes, did grow increasingly freaky over the years. That's why I chose the photo above.

Yes, it is a wonderfully retouched photo taken under the most ideal lighting conditions, with heavy makeup and photoshopped within an inch of its life, but I think it represents how Michael saw himself. Baby, we ALL have our delusions. Michael just had enough money to make his reality.

Here's to the most beautiful and talented white woman to ever grace the cover of Ebony Magazine! Long may his memory live!

1 comment:

Michelle Kight said...

I love this! It says it all about him, a little weird but surely he'll be missed. White woman, ha!