Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Your Brista Thinkin' 'Bout Marriage

When I came out to myself at 26, I never thought it would happen.


When I came out to my father and sister on my 30th birthday, it still didn't seem like something that would happen in my lifetime.


Today it happened!


As of today, I live in a place (Washington, DC) where I, as a black gay man, can legally marry the partner of my choice.


Even though I don't have someone I am eying for that walk down the aisle just yet, it is still an awesome and wonderful reality and I feel happy and blessed.


Now it's time to find a man!

4 comments:

D W JazzLover said...

Habibi, please forgive me for what i am about to say...I really don't understand the push for marriage,equal rights yes, legal protection yes! But I don't know toooo many hetro happy marrages, why would we want to copy that!!expecially with gay relationship history...are we asking for this for the right reasons...

I really don't understand...
D.

Brian said...

It's not about copying heterosexual marriage, its about being able to exercise all of the rights that anyone else in this country can. It's about the legal protection that marriage affords, but most importantly, its about a couple validating their relationship before the world, and having your country confirm that your relationship is just as valid as anyone else's.

-SPW said...

I am happy for you that you can one day do something that means so much to you!

Love your blog. Waiting for more Alex and Alonzo!!!

Raw Leather Daddy said...

DW Jazz Lover sounds a bit jaded.

why not have marriage? hell. Most heteros think we are lesser than as it is, so for states to recognize us as humans and that we can love like anyone else, marriage should be available to us.

I know i plan to move back up North cuz lord knows it won't be happening in Georgia no time soon. LOL